The ICRC promotes IHL (international humanitarian law) by engaging with a wide range of interlocutors from students to professors as well as government representatives, judges and diplomats. This position focuses on IHL promotion and implementation with governmental authorities and remains one of the key files that gives the Delegation direct access to government interlocutors.
The position of legal advisor with the ICRC’s advisory services will have primary responsibility for the file dealing with promoting and implementing IHL with government. The objective of these activities is to ensure that the ICRC maintains an ongoing dialogue and relationship on IHL issues with the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), other government ministries and multilateral institutions such as AALCO (Asian-African Legal Consultative Organization), as well as select think tanks that link with the MEA.
The incumbent will serve as the legal advisor in charge of promoting IHL with government and related entities in India and Maldives. He or she will provide direct support to the Delegation on all matters relating to engagement with government, including with the judiciary and MEA linked think tanks, in order to further the ICRC’s positioning on IHL. He or she will also manage budgetary planning of ICRC’s advisory services on IHL to ensure that the goals and objectives of the department are met
The key responsibilities of the position holder would be:
· Lead the activities of the unit with the MEA, AALCO, IIT and the new technologies of warfare activities.
· Take the lead in organising programmes and supporting research activities with partner institutions on New Weapons Technology, including cyber, autonomous weapons, artificial intelligence and machine learning.
· Takes the lead in organising and planning IHL programmes as managed by the Deputy Head of Prevention and works in close coordination with interlocutors.
· Supports the IHL Unit in the planning, coordination and undertaking of programmes and activities relating to the ICRC’s advisory services on IHL;
· Ensures participation of interlocutors in national and regional IHL programmes.
· Serves as the lead within the Delegation on specific thematic IHL files, including children and armed conflict, weapons related issues, as well as on new technologies of warfare.
· Conducts independent research and analysis of specific IHL matters and broader aspects of national legal systems in India, and Maldives.
· Contributes to the formulation and implementation of internal and external strategies to address identified issues. Participates in the decision-making process of the Regional Delegation.
· The incumbent is responsible for developing, planning and managing the budget for ICRC’s IHL activities;
Required qualification & experience:
· 4-5 experience in similar function with University degree in law.
· Master’s degree or specialisation in a discipline of public international law, including IHL.
· Admitted to the bar / magistrate or PHD an advantage.
· Fluent command on English, including English drafting skills.
· Working experience with government or the judicial sector an advantage.
· Teaching / dissemination experience, including at the academic level.
· Connections to government and academic circles, including own network of interlocutors.
· To be able to function autonomously within the limits of responsibilities granted.
· To be able to facilitate to work across traditional boundaries.
· To be able to communicate and influence across a range of audiences.
· Good team player with patience, perseverance and the needed quality of self-confidence.
The ICRC is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. We recognise that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our organisation. We offer rewarding and enriching work in a humanitarian and international environment to all job applicants with no discrimination on the grounds of gender, race and disability.
Applicants are requested to submit their motivation letter and comprehensive CV along with copies of work certificates and salary expectations on e-mail ID email@example.com.
Last date of sending application: 18 August 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.