The position of Legal Adviser in the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Unit in the ICRC Regional Delegation for India, Bhutan, Nepal and the Maldives is one which supports institutional objectives aimed at promoting and integrating IHL and other relevant legal norms, with a view to enhancing respect, improving the ICRC’s dialogue with national authorities and facilitating operational activities and priorities of the ICRC Regional Delegation.
Some of the responsibilities and main tasks would be:
* Conducts independent research and analysis of specific IHL matters
* Performs independent research and analyses proposed national legislations
* Coordinates with Head-IHL Unit and undertakes IHL dissemination at an expert level to specialised audiences in India and throughout the South Asian region
* Participates in internal programme planning, budget processes and monitors its implementation
* Develops and maintains various ICRC networks of Actors of Influence
* Conducts research in areas of Public International Law and monitors developments in IHL and IHRL
* Contributes to the formulation and implementation of internal and external strategies to address identified issues
* Supports the IHL Unit in the planning, coordination and undertaking of programmes and activities relating to the ICRC’s Academic & MEON file
* Remains willing, able and flexible to travel throughout India and the South Asia region, as and when required
* To represent the ICRC with decorum and to disseminate information in keeping with institutional and professional standards
Required Qualification & Experience:
* University Degree in law
* Master of Laws degree in Public International Law or International Humanitarian Law (IHL) preferred
* A minimum of 3 years work experience in any area relating to Public International Law and/or IHL
* Fluent in spoken and written English and national language(s)
* Excellent research and drafting skills
* Articulate communication and presentation skills
* Computer proficiency and ability to work in a team-oriented & multi-cultural environment
* Strong sense of responsibility, ability to set priorities
* Good team player with patience, perseverance and self-confidence
* Capacity to work independently showing initiative
* Capacity to formulate and support implementation of strategies
* Willingness to travel within India
ICRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. We offer an enriching opportunity to work in an international humanitarian organisation to all job applicants with no discrimination on grounds of gender, race and disability.
The ICRC offers a multi-cultural work environment and rewarding professional experience.
Applicants are requested to submit a Letter of Motivation and a comprehensive CV, along with copies of work certificates and salary expectations, via email to “email@example.com”.
Last date of sending application: 23 July 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.